iSchoolTravel is a set of tools that measures and communicates to-and-from school travel impacts to students, active travel campaign participants and sponsors. Help students understand the positive impacts of active travel, maximize the educational value of related in-classroom material, measure the success of your active travel or school travel planning programs, or thrill your sponsors with the quantifiable results provided by the iSchoolTravel tools.
What is iSchoolTravel?
iSchoolTravel is two unique tools.
- For students, iSchoolTravel is a web and iPad calculator that determines distances and impacts from to and from school travel. It is an educational tool that is free to use and works for students everywhere. Use the calculator.
- For teachers and school administrators, iSchoolTravel is a data collection tool that captures quantifiable student travel distances and impact data for use in classroom education programs or evaluating the success of school participation in Active School Travel programs.
- For more information or a 30 day trial.
What does iSchoolTravel do?
For students, the iSchoolTravel calculator :
- calculates distances travelled to and from school by walking, biking, bus and private vehicle.
- determines the amount of calories burned walking and biking, the cost of fuel for private auto use and GHG emissions.
- allows students to set active travel goals and explores the positive impacts of their goals.
- allows students to provides input via survey questions as to their situational barriers to active travel options.
For teachers and school administrators, the iSchoolTravel results reporting tool provides:
- a summary of student’s current travel modes, distances and impacts data.
- a summary of student’s goals for travel modes, distances and impacts data.
- travel survey responses.
- comparison with same classroom or school over two time periods or classroom to classroom or school to school comparisons, for current, goal or difference results.
- travel distance demographic data.
- Request a 30 day trial
Why would I use iSchoolTravel in my school?
With the use of Classroom Codes iSchoolTravel provides real time, quantitative classroom or school-wide travel data that can be used to:
- support classroom learning experiences
- measure of the success of Active Transportation or School Travel Planning initiatives
- information to support investments such as secure bike rakes or improved side walks
- provide funders or sponsors with measurable results
How does iSchoolTravel work?
Where does iSchoolTravel work?
What is a Classroom Code?
A Classroom Code gives the teacher or program administrator access to preconfigure the calculator and access classroom data. A Classroom Code is 10 digit number that when entered into the stand alone calculator by the student user, configures the calculators to school specific criteria and allows students to post their calculated results to a teacher accessible database for classroom level results data review. Multiple classroom codes can be purchased for school wide use.
Is there a cost to use iSchoolTravel ?
Yes and no. Anyone can access and use the iSchoolTravel calculator for free. Many teachers use the calculator in their classroom this way. As long as you know your schools address and your students know their home address than you are ready to go. Each student can determine their travel impacts, manually record their impacts and use them in classroom exercises.
To get the maximum value from the use of the iSchoolTravel calculator a teacher or school administrator can configure the calculator specific to their school of classroom, plus access the data the your students have uploaded. We do charge a small annual fee for this functionality. As we are a non-profit and only funded for delivery of services in British Columbia, Canada, we need to cover the costs of making the full iSchoolTravel functionality available to all outside of B.C. For more information click here.
How do I register and subscribe to the Configuration and Reporting Tool?
Registration is simple. Go to the Subscribe page and select the level of subscription that works best for your school or classroom. Payment is via credit card through Paypal. As soon as we receive notification of your subscription we will send you log-in information where you can register your school, configure your schools information and obtain the Classroom Codes for distribution to your students. You will also have access to view their recorded results and generate the results reports as required.
Who developed and manages iSchoolTravel?
iSchoolTravel has been developed in a partnership between the non-profit organization Hub for Active School Travel (HASTe) and the software tool developer Passion for Action. Configuration tool subscription fees cover the development and administrative costs of the tool and help fund HASTe programs.
The 4 Most Important Things Your Employee Handbook Must Have
Separately, we want to talk about translation services and agencies that deal with them. This is a very important moment in the organization of labor and one should not forget about it.
Employee handbooks are a great resource for your employees, but putting one together can seem daunting. It's easy to be too elaborate and include so much information that your employees don't even read it, but it's also just as easy to keep it too simple and leave out important information that could put your company or your employees at risk—legally or otherwise! For this reason, we've assembled a quick reference guide below to exactly what you should include in your employee handbook to make it a viable, useful tool in your employees' work lives.
1. Your and your employees' legal rights
This is an important one. Federal law grants your employees various important rights regarding minimum wage, and state and local laws may further expand upon those and other laws, such as mandatory breaks for meals or rest, requirements for sick leave, pay and time off for jury duty, voting, and other such regulations. Make sure you are not only aware and understand how these laws apply to you and your employees, but make sure they understand, too! You may be required to post these as printed bulletins in your office, but having the information available to your employees any time and place they need it will only benefit you both.
Additionally, there may be laws that protect you as an employer and your right to fire an employee for negligence or other reasons. Having this available in writing can only help should an employee dispute this after being let go.
2. Your workplace policies
You may have your own policies in place as well, perhaps through a human resources department, such as vacation time, benefits, holidays, and so on, or even as far as following OSHA or other safety guidelines. Giving a copy of these policies to all of your employees will ensure that they understand what they are entitled to and what is an isn't permitted in the workplace.
3. Your expectations
Most simply, having a simple list of tasks your employees should be able to perform as part of their job description will help them better understand what is and isn't expected of them, and will allow them to know who to delegate certain tasks to and who to go to when they have questions.
4. A translated version available in your employees' native language(s)
Finally, having your employee handbook translated into other languages is a very important part of working with employees who may natively speak another language, regardless of whether their job requires them to communicate with customers or coworkers frequently or not. Knowledge is power, and a knowledgable employee, who feels safe and secure and knows their limits and expectations, is a good employee!
These are the four core pillars of a solid employee handbook, but there are other resources out there that may help you delve into the deeper details of the process, such as this guide from Inc.com. Always be sure to do your research!
If you need help composing or translating your employee handbook, fill out our free quote request form now and we'd be happy to help you through the process!